Start with a clay of your choice. We currently have two different clays to choose from. Banana Oat which is a highly moisturizing clay blend with banana extract and oat flour or Radiant Rose which is a rejuvenating clay blend that features french red clay to help balance your skin's oils and tone skin. If you’re looking for something simple you can just add a liquid to our clays, they have many benefits on their own, or if you’d like to make your mask a little more unique there are many natural, easy to find products you can add as well.
Choose a Liquid. There are tons of different liquids you could use to benefit your face in different ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Water/Mineral Water - a simple addition and easily accessible. Mineral water is a step up that can bring more nutrients to your skin.
- Yogurt - can have many beneficial effects on your skin depending on what type you use. Just be sure to use plain yogurt and avoid added flavours. If you are looking for something without any animal byproducts try yogurt made from Almond or Coconut milk.
- Witch Hazel - has many benefits for skin that make it an essential skincare ingredient. It can be found in many face toners and sprays and it has a nice refreshing scent.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - I’m sure by now you’ve heard of a few ways you can use apple cider vinegar for many different tasks and skin care is no different. It is recommended to dilute the apple cider vinegar with water in a ratio of 1:5 (ex. 1 tsp of ACV for 5 tsp of water) before using on your skin in any way, it is far too harsh to use on your skin otherwise.
- Aloe Vera - the aloe plant has been used for years to treat dry skin as it is highly moisturizing and has many vitamins and minerals. It comes in both juice and gel form and either would work, but juice may be a little easier to work with when mixing.
- Floral Waters - also known as hydrosols, floral waters are made when distilling fresh plants, they are a hydrating addition for your skin and smell amazing. You can get them in many different types like rose, lavender, chamomile, geranium, tea tree etc. and each type has different benefits for your skin.
- Teas - if you love tea, this liquid is a no brainer. The benefits teas can have on your skin is amazing. Just brew a cup of your favourite kind of tea and before you add sugar or milk, set some tea aside for your face mask later. Be sure to give your tea time to cool so it will feel amazing on your skin
- Oils - there are so many different oils you can add to your face mask that have great hydrating benefits. So if your looking to introduce some healthy oils to your face you could try avocado oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil or even just olive oil which is a great moisturizing oil.
Choose some Additives. There are tons of easy to find and natural additives you can add to your face mask to make it that much more beneficial.
- Essential Oils - a few drops of your favourite essential oil can provide many improvements to your face mask. There are so many different essential oils to choose from such as lavender, orange, peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, eucalyptus, lemon, etc. We recommend adding a carrier oil to your mask if you do include an essential oil so for 1-2 drops of essential oil add 1 tbs of your carrier oil of choice such as olive or avocado oil. Amount: 1-2 drops + 1 tsp carrier oil
- Honey - can be a great skin brightener and antioxidant and it has many other benefits. Pairs well with lemon essential oil. It’s best to use raw honey if you can. Amount: 1 tbsp
- Charcoal Powder - is used in so many face care products because of its ability to help pull toxins from the skin and remove impurities. You can purchase pure charcoal powder on our website HERE. (Yes... we know it says teeth whitening, that's just one of its other benefits). Amount: 1-2 tsp
- Matcha Powder - well known for its skin care benefits matcha powder has powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties great for problematic skin types. Plus it’s a pretty green colour… Amount: 1-2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - helps to reduce redness, inflammation, irritation and even possibly swelling on your face. It also can help to reduce fine lines and help improve the texture of your skin. Amount: 1-2 tsp